Saturday, December 29, 2007

She's The One . . .

I recently purchased a gorgeous red mahogany PRS SE One from Stringbean Music in Bismarck, ND (*see link under Back Forty). As you can see from the photo, it's pretty much a meat-and-potatoes guitar - a single P-90 soap bar pickup, one volume knob, and wrap-around bridge. Some people might look at it as being "stripped down", though personally, I tend to find beauty in simplicity . In other words - nothing to get in the way of your tone.

Other things that impressed me about the SE One were the exquisite build quality of the instrument, along with an amazing tonal
projection. Initially, I was a bit skeptical about the wrap-around tail piece, but as I played the guitar, I could almost "feel" it resonating; as if it were alive right there in my hands. Of all the guitars I've played over the years, none have resulted in playing experience quite like that. Tone-wise, the stock P-90 has plenty of that growly, low-end bite that I like - perfect for crunchy leads and punchy rhythm work. The p'up is also very articulate using cleaner timbres, adding another element of versatility.

I'm planning on picking her up next weekend, and hope to have a few clips posted at some point later on. Getting a new guitar is always exciting - J.

No comments: