Sunday, July 20, 2008

Science Meets Tone . . .

I'm constantly amazed at the variety of guitar / guitar-related items on Ebay. About a month or so ago, I was perusing the site for a pair of replacement tubes for my newly-acquired Fender Super Champ XD. While the stock valves sounded pretty good, overall, I couldn't help but think that a better set would improve things in the tone dept. Call it a hunch. Anyways . . .

During my search for a set of 6V6 tubes, I came across a rather interesting listing from a company called Cryoset. If the para-scientific company name doesn't arouse your curiosity, then maybe this idea will: frozen vacuum tubes. Yup. You heard me correctly.

Through a highly specialized process, the tubes are cryogenically treated, which apparently, improves both the strength and sonic capabilities of the tube. While the whole idea is very plausible, and certainly, rooted firmly in its scientific claims - - it seems just a bit on the Dr. Frankenstein line of thinking - or at least to me it is. I can just picture it now - some guy in a white lab coat, pulling a tray of treated tubes out of the cryo-freezer. As a light, misty fog waftes above his creation, he grins, and then erupts in an evil, maniacal laugh, "from the icy caverns of Siberia, I give you - TONE! Ha ha hahahahhahahahaaaaa!!!"

One might think that all of this whiz-bang technology would cost an arm and a leg - - but in fact, it doesn't. After checking Ebay, as well as a few other sites for the same tubes (Electro-Harmonix 6V6GT), the Cryoset tubes were very competitively priced - and in some cases, cheaper than non-treated tubes.

Eventually, I couldn't help but succumb to the icy temptation of "grail tone", and purchased a pair of the Cryoset tubes to try out myself. Once my new Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker arrives, I plan on doing a bit of mod work to my Super Champ, with a full-on A/B review to follow. - - J.

No comments: