Thursday, June 12, 2008

Rig O' The Month - June 2008


June's Rig O' The Months come to us from the Eastern Canadian province of Newfoundland. Over the past few years, I've had the pleasure of corresponding to Mike O'Reilly, an acquaintance whom I became associated with a couple years back via The Fret.Net. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I was name-dropping some of my favorite Canadian musical artists in a post reply, and Kim Mitchell and the Tragically Hip happened to come into the dialogue. An avid Canadian rock fan himself, Mike took a shine to that, and we soon exchanged several e-mails - each time finding out we had more and more in common: music, muscle cars, hockey, and of course, the social arts. As far as guitar playing is concerned, Mike's passion rests firmly in the Fender Camp, though when we'd exchanged e-mails late last fall, he was actively pursuing a vintage Marshall via a U.K. connection.

Last week, I received an e-mail from Mike, along with pics of some very delectible Fender thoroughbreds. In his own words:

"Thought I'd send this along ... a pic of the rig I'm currently gigging and using in the studio .. a 1964 Fender Bassman AA864, 1966 Fender Bassman cab loaded with original Jensen C12-NS, 1966 Fender VibroChamp. I run these through a Boss ME-10 digital multiple effects board in stereo. When mic'd either through the PA in stereo or in the studio this combonation is nothing short of aural masturbation. The Boss lets me also run either of the amps alone like an a-b box or in the aforementioned stereo. The digital reverb is very good and the chorus is the standard Boss . . . killer. Anyway - - maybe a candidate for "Reader's Rig of the Month" on TONE FARM."

No matter how you slice it, sixties-era anything from Fender rates very highly, esp. steeds of the Blackface bloodline. And yes, perhaps even as highly as the art of auditory self-pleasure . . . ;~) Thanks for sharing, Mike - and congratulations on being the Tone Farm's Rig O' The Month!! J.

P.S. - Be sure and "double-click" the photo for the full-sized, Fender-licious version!

No comments: