Saturday, March 1, 2008

I'm baaaccckk . . . .

Greetings fellow 'Farmers. Gettin' back in the posting groove again after a short hiatus. Several items of interest to report.

First, I am happy to have recently connected with friend and long-time musical collaborator Craig Schulte, who stopped over last weekend to jam a few licks off of (2) new tracks that will be featured on his upcoming CD. As good fortune would have it, Craig has asked me to contribute solos for these two songs, as well as lend my hand to the artwork & design for the CD jacket / insert. Being that it's been over (12) years since we last collaborated (*on 1996's Drive To Perfection), it'll be especially exciting to see how things come together.

During our session last week, I also had a chance to play Craig some of my own original material, and as I might have predicted - he was already thinking up accompanying parts for some of the songs. Sensing the energy that was present, it would seem that there are great things on tap in 2008 for the Schulte / Nelson creative team. Stay tuned @ Tone Farm for all of the "insider" details.

Another "toneful" event that occured during the early part of February was dropping some *NEW* custom pick-ups in my #1 Les Paul and Cream Squier Stratocaster (thanks to Phil @ String Bean for the install.) Both sets came via friend / resident tone freak / Bent guitarist Dan Benz though two of his Seattle-based connections (again, props for the sweet hook-up!) This, of course, has had me playing like a man possessed, and in turn, tracking some pretty cool original material. One of the newest JN originals Can't See Straight will feature the crunchy goodness of my #1 Les Paul through its new Fenris humbucker set. The Lynn Collins vintage winds in my Cream Strat ("Angie") will highlight a Dire Straits-esque original called Friendly Skies - another song that's currently "in the works".

Planning a Bismarck run next week for work, with anticipated stops at both the String Bean and Turner camps. Also looking forward to picking up my *NEW* Homebrew Germania pedal @ the 'Bean, and the vintage 60's mojo that I'll soon be conjuring up with it. More on that later.

Lastly, T-minus (9) days 'til the Ace Frehley show! J.

No comments: