Sunday, February 3, 2008

Finding Keys . . .

Being fully aware of the knowledge and skill already present amongst the "All-Star Cast" that frequents our blog, I though it might be fun to tap into that deep, insightful well for an upcoming feature about "keys" to guitar playing. What spurred this on? Very simply - - talking / e-mailing with you - my fellow axe-slinging compadres. Whether its sitting down and sessioning some killer boutique amps, talking about Winter NAMM, discussing the benefits of NOS tubes, or sharing a few comical observations about gigging live - as players & musicians, these tributaries all flow into the same ocean.

An astounding player / musician I am not - but the desire to be one burns inside of me like a trio of fire-red 6L6's. To get the ball rolling on this feature , I though I'd pass along some things that have helped me to get where I am today. Either via e-mail, written contribution, or comments - it'd be fun to find out about some of those all-important "keys" that have opened doors to your own playing. Yes - this might take some thought. But think of it as time well-spent. Like enjoying a great cup of coffee, or listening to one of your favorite songs (*which does not include You.Tube!)

Believe me, culling (20) years of "lessons learned" down to (5) wasn't easy - - but I think the crux of the endeavor is pretty self-explanatory. Here are my own "keys" to guitar-playing success:

1.) Go your own way - Finding your own personal guitar "place" is where it's at. Rule your own musical universe, and reap its benefits.
2.) Listen! - i.e. are you really hearing it? Become acutely attuned to what you hear musically. Dissect it. Understand it. Know it.
3.) Inspiration is everywhere - All music presents potential inspiration for your own playing. Leave no stone unturned.
4.) Regular & Inventive Practice - Find ways to infuse practice into your daily routine through traditional & inspirational methods.
5.) Look outside the box - Don't play it safe. Continually challenge yourself by exploring new technical styles and musical theories.

What's that I hear . . . the sound of keys . . . jingling? J.

No comments: